Students must read and sign the BYOD Student Agreement in the company of a parent or caregiver unless otherwise directed by the principal.
I agree that I will abide by the school’s BYOD policy and that:
- I will use my device during school activities at the direction of the teacher.
- I will not attach any school-owned equipment to my mobile device without the permission of the school.
- I understand that I am not to use cellular (mobile data) or ‘tethering’ connections whilst on the school site.
- I will use my own portal/internet log-in details and will never share them with others.
- I will stay safe by not giving my personal information to strangers.
- I will not hack or bypass any hardware and software security implemented by the department or my school.
- I will not use my own device to knowingly search for, link to, access or send anything that is offensive, pornographic, threatening, abusive, defamatory or considered to be bullying.
- I will report inappropriate behaviour and inappropriate material to my teacher.
- I understand that my activity on the internet is recorded and that these records may be used in investigations, court proceedings or for other legal reasons.
- I acknowledge that the school cannot be held responsible for any damage to, or theft of my device.
- I understand and have read the limitations of the manufacturer’s warranty on my device, both in duration and in coverage.
- I have reviewed the BYOD Device Requirements and Student Responsibilities section and have ensured my device meets the minimum outlined specifications.
- I have read and understand the requirements of the Personal Electronic Device Policy at Geraldton Senior High School and will only use my device in the classroom for a specific educational purpose as directed by a teacher.
- I understand that the High School has the right to perform periodic and random inspections of BYOD devices for inappropriate and copyright material
- I acknowledge that devices must not be used to take photographs or record and activity at school without the direction or permission from a member of staff.
- I have completed and returned the Geraldton Senior High School BYOD Request form to Student Services
High schools: The department’s Wi-Fi network installed in high schools operates on the 802.11n 5Ghz standard. Devices that do not support this standard will not be able to connect.
Laptops that meet the operating system requirements. Only tablets that support Apple IOS and Windows 10 will be allowed access.
Approved devices for BYOD at GSHS can be purchased locally or through the following web address: www.Hp.com.au/BYOD using the access code: GeraldtonSHS
The current or prior version of any operating system. Windows 10 or higher and MAC OSX 10.7 or higher. For mobile devices Apple IOS 9.7 or higher
Software and apps:
School-based requirements. All software and apps should be fully updated.
A minimum of 5hrs battery life to last the school day.
Reasonable sized screen and a sturdy keyboard to enable continuous use throughout the day.
Casing: Tough and sturdy to avoid breakage.
Weight: Lightweight for ease of carrying.
Durability: Durable and strong.
Operating system and anti-virus:
Students must ensure they have a legal and licensed version of a supported operating system and of software. If applicable, students’devices must be equipped with anti-virus software.
Geraldton Senior High School Wi-Fi network connection only:
Student devices are only permitted to connect to the department’s (GSHS) Wi-Fi network while at school. There is no cost for this service.
Battery life and charging:
Students must ensure they bring their device to school fully charged for the entire school day. No charging equipment will be supplied by the school.
Theft and damage:
Students are responsible for securing and protecting their devices at school. Any loss or damage to a device is not the responsibility of the school or the Department.
Students’ devices may be confiscated if the school has reasonable grounds to suspect that a device contains data which breaches the BYOD Student Agreement including use of communication apps during the school day and use outside of direction from a member of staff
Please refer to the Geraldton Senior High School Mobile Phone Policy.
Maintenance and support:
Students are solely responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their devices.
Students should ensure they are comfortable using their device during the school day particularly in relation to screen size, sturdy keyboard etc.
Students are responsible for backing-up their own data and should ensure this is done regularly.
Students and their parents/caregivers are responsible for arranging their own insurance and should be aware of the warranty conditions for the device.
Please complete the following at the beginning of each school year:
- Fill in the information below and submit the completed details to Student Services who will forward it to IT staff. Alternatively, Electronic copies can be submitted by email to: Geraldton.SHS.ITSupport@education.wa.edu.au
- Please note that incomplete forms are unable to be processed.